Thursday, May 31, 2012

Back At It

I finally went back to class yesterday. I was absolutely beaming when I got there. Being away for five days made me really miss the gym and the guys. When I saw my coach, Jeff, I had to hold back from jumping on him to give him a giant hug.

Class was considerably larger yesterday. I've  noticed a lot more new faces lately which is great. I'm glad the program is getting bigger. One of my Muay Thai coaches even decided it was time to switch it up and joined class. My guess is that he's considering getting into  MMA and needs to learn some mat work before he can ground and pound.

The focus of the class was learning new sweeps which was great because I haven't quite gotten the hang of them yet. I definitely noticed improvement so I was really happy. I didn't even care that I had to roll with a guy who is considerably larger than I am. The last time I rolled with him I had the hardest time getting out of side control so my strategy was not to let him get me into side control. I'm a lot weaker than he is so I used the spider guard to keep him off of me. He only passed my guard twice but I was able to block him from getting me into side control or from mounting me and reverted back into spider. Needless to say, my fingertips were raw by the end of class.

After class I hung around and helped Jeff drill some crazy advanced moves that he's learning. He and some other guys are competing this weekend so the energy was high. Now that I'm back, I can finally breathe....

No comments:

Post a Comment