I'm going through some seriousl withdrawals. I haven't taken a BJJ class in five days because of my crazy work schedule. I've already worked over 60 hours and have one more dreaded day to go. I can't wait to put on my gi and get back on the mat!
Most people don't understand my obsession with jiu jitsu. Hell I don't even understand it. Women at the gym tell me I'm crazy for rolling with the guys. They see my bruises and enthusiastically declare that they will never put on a gi. My mom shakes her head in disbelief every time she sees a new bruise or scratch. I thought she was going to have a heart attack when she saw the huge, oozing mat burn on my arm two weeks ago. My dad doesn't say much, but he raises his eyebrow in disapproval nonetheless. My friends beg me to put on a cardigan when we go out because my injuries clearly offend them. Apparently looking like a "domestic violence" victim isn't very sexy or appealing.
I can kind of understand why they disapprove. I'm not very tall or very big and I'm most definitely a "girly-girl". When I took MMA, I was told I'd be better off as a ring girl (rude). I guess no one understands why someone as feminine as I am, would be okay with having a ridiculous amount of bruises, scratches, and mat burn on her body. The truth is that I'm proud of my all my scratches and bruises. I earned them. I took off my make-up, secured my long hair, put on my pink gi, and walked on to the mat expecting to chip my toe nail polish and get a little sweat in my eyes. So what if I'd rather wear my Havaianas to the gym instead of my 4.5 inch L.A.M.B pumps to happy hour? Being on the mat is my new happy hour and right now, I'm seriously not happy...
One more day to go. Only one more day to go....
No comments:
Post a Comment